Friday, March 23, 2007

A Diva and a Princess

Two dogs are better than one, especially when they are both Yorkies. You'd think they'd both grow to favor one another, sort of conform to the other as they grow up together. With Chloe and Paisley nothing could be more untrue.

Paisley the Princess

She's the younger of the two, a mere year and a few months. She was raised for six months among other dogs before we got her. Paisley loves other dogs, but is timid around new people. She's mildly timid and prone to use her charm to get her way with me. She's the smaller of the two and has no idea. She has a natural sweetness about her that makes me forget about the fact that she is still not house trained. When she wants some affection she'll run to her bed, jump in and roll over onto her back and look up at me with sweet eyes. If that doesn't do the trick then she'll rub her paws across the sides of her face, and then look up again. That usually does the trick. But if I'm distracted and that doesn't get her what she wants, she then get's a little more aggressive. She'll prance over to the carpet and do her little bucking dance. She cocks her head up, arches her little back, and kicks them one back leg at a time. She kicks backward on her back legs, like a bull about to charge. Except instead of her front legs, she kicks her back legs, one at a time in quick succession, making a swift, swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, swoosh across the carpet. She kicks so hard that her front two legs come up off the ground and then she gives a couple of deep muted barks. If that doesn't get my attention, it gets the attention of her older sister, Chloe.

Chloe the Diva

Chloe gets what she wants by demanding it as if it were her right. She loves to play, and the rougher the better. She's vocal and she is quite the little acrobat. Normally, she wants to play fetch, except fetch turns into chase after you throw whatever toy she's set on. Right? I throw it, she chases after it. When she gets it, she then won't give it back, but insists that we do it again. So she sets it down where I can't get it from her, and then barks incessantly at me. Only if I ignore her for a few minutes does she set it down next to me. But if I'm not fast enough, she gets it again and takes off. Of couse it's my fault. As the oldest and first dog, I was a bit ignorant to raising a little dog. I would chase her around with her toys, thus teaching her to keep it from me. I also played rough with her as a puppy, making her a very active and athletic little girl. But she has her ways of getting to me. At night she loves to snuggle up in bed, getting as close around my neck as possible. She is always up for giving a kiss. (especially at 2 am, and again at 4 am) She's learned to cover herself any time, anywhere there's a blanket or towel laying around. She curls up underneath and off she goes to sleep. She loves to dress up and go for adventures to Target, Lowes and PetSmart. Unlike Paisley, Chloe loves to interact with people, always looking for attention.

The two are getting very good on walks, and getting better all the time. They are learning to be more obedient and I am enjoying my time with them more and more. I just need to figure out how to keep them from waking me up by licking my face in the middle of the night!

No comments: