Saturday, November 24, 2007

Not exactly what I expected for "Silly Dog Toys"


I am not really sure what I expected once I published my first book, Silly Dog Toys. I figured I'd sell a few, and maybe get lucky with a bright review somewhere, and sell a few more than expected.

Once I started working on the book, I really didn't focus on those expectations. I was completely engaged in the production. Now that it's complete and getting into readers' hands, I find myself incredibly surprised by the impact, especially on a little 9 year old girl, my niece, Rebecca.

It's only been a few weeks in print, so I really hadn't thought about the book much as a finished piece. On Thanksgiving, I received the best kind of reward for my work. No, it wasn't the $25. It was the utter fascination and delight it brought to my brother's daughter. From the moment she saw it, touched it, she could not put it down. It reminded me of my fascination and love of books as a child. She loves little dogs and her grandmother is an accomplished seamstress. Her fondness of my book was touching, and that response was the gift I'd hoped to give the world. (Yeah, I know. It sounds a bit sappy). I mean really, there's no way an arts and craft book will make the NYT Best Seller list, nor will I get rich with such a book.

The real point of the book was to share my passion for the arts and creative expression with others who have the same passion, especially kids and dog lovers.


Today, I achieved another small goal with Silly Dog Toys. I sold and shipped my first copy of Silly Dog Toys through eBay. So what if it sold for $1.50. A very nice lady who loves her two cocker spaniels bought Silly Dog Toys. Yeah, I will go broke selling Silly Dog Toys at that price, but it was one book I put up for auction.

This eBay sale was important, because it put me through all of the motions of a sale, a good exercise for me, as I expect to sell my high-end dog beds through my store on eBay too. It's a pretty cool system, the eBay way that is. To list, promote, sell and ship an item with such ease is remarkable.

To Barb and her cocker spaniels, and to my lovely niece, I hope you find the same joy in making toys for your dogs is as rewarding for you as it already has been for me!

Shown above is the cover of Silly Dog Toys, and a sample project spread from the book. Each project is designed to be very easy for anyone to accomplish. Silly Dog Toys can be found for sale on www.amazon.com and in my eBay store. Search using the title "Silly Dog Toys", and on eBay search eBay stores using the same search phrase.

If arts and crafts are your thing, you have kids and you are a dog lover, then Silly Dog Toys is the perfect gift for you and your family, or a family as described above!

(Forgive the sales pitch. I couldn't help myself!)

And for those Barley fans out there, yes that is Barley on the cover!

-- Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

zedon said...

His bed will be the first thing a dog will make a beeline toward whenever they are tired and wish to recover their flagging energy levels. With that in mind as a dog owner you are advised to ensure that you choose a dog bed that will be comfortable for your pet.

Drjigg said...

It's an intrusting and informative article.That's related to the dog beds.I read and really impressed from your topic.I like and share with one an other .Thanks for sharing....

Hello said...

Zedon wrote:

His bed will be the first thing a dog will make a beeline toward whenever they are tired and wish to recover their flagging energy levels. With that in mind as a dog owner you are advised to ensure that you choose a dog bed that will be comfortable for your pet.

I couldn't agree more. One must do their due diligence when selecting the right dog breed for them.

PomskyHQ
PomskyHQ Blog